"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." ~T.S. Eliot

"You were once wild here, don't let them tame you!" ~Isadora Duncan

"Be faithful to that which exists within yourself." ~Andre Gide

"Follow your bliss!" ~J. Campbell ... and my folks!

"The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting." ~Andy Warhol

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." ~Nelson Mandela

"...open and expanding like an unfinished book..." ~Quote from a friend, Travis Judd

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." ~St. Francis of Assisi

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." ~Nelson Mandela

"The capacity to be puzzled is ... the premise of all creation, be it in art or in science." ~Erich Fromm

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." ~Mae West

"Theatre is a form of knowledge; it should and can also be a means of transforming society. Theatre can help us build our future, rather than just waiting for it." ~Augusto Boal

Saturday, January 29, 2011

A novelist? Or seemingly mindless rant?

This post is somewhat related ... down time to the job search.

I don't have a full time job and haven't for the past two years. Despite my continuous job hunting, days spent substitute teaching, the 2 middle school plays I've directed, and my part time DK job, I have had a lot of down time over the past two years. Can you say cabin fever???

Some of my down time (as several posts on here can already attest to) I read! I didn't like to read so much as a kid, but I LOVE IT NOW! Some days I get totally lost in a book, some days I devour an entire one (and I do not read fast). I love how vividly one can live inside someone else's imagination (have I said this already)?

Some days my down time is spent visiting a friend who lives in town, and her two little munchkins. A friend from High School who I'm thrilled to be back in touch with, so closely. I love having converstaions about books we've read ... among other things! ;o)

Sometimes my down time is spent cooking. I LOVE TO COOK!

And with some of my down time I try to keep my creative juices flowing and the creative urges 'satisfied'. I've done one of my 24 Hour Theatre rounds with the local High School last Summer, and have one in the works for this March. But without the funds to just up and do a show, I've taken to writing. My writing seems to come to me mostly in the form of short stories or novels (or at least one hopes a novel might be born). Though I've got a slew of poems (of which I've been jotting down for years now), and I've taken a stab at playwriting as well. I've got a one act I think is in pretty good shape - though not finished it is close, and several other ideas that I've begun.

However, I find that finishing any of them - specifically the short stories / novels I'm attempting - and yes the plural tense of the words is correct - is horribly difficult! You see, I keep getting these great ideas (what artist would say otherwise of their ideas, and I really do think several - if not all - have real potential), but I can't seem to take them from the great idea to a final story. And this is frustating! Any suggestions are welcomed!

Why am I writing this post today? Well I think it's partly because I spent the morning working on yet another book idea that came to me, and partly because I'm looking for any advice on how to get an idea from its initial inception to a finished story, and because I didn't do any job hunting today or have any jobs to apply for.

So, there you have it ... my current brain waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment