"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." ~T.S. Eliot

"You were once wild here, don't let them tame you!" ~Isadora Duncan

"Be faithful to that which exists within yourself." ~Andre Gide

"Follow your bliss!" ~J. Campbell ... and my folks!

"The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting." ~Andy Warhol

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." ~Nelson Mandela

"...open and expanding like an unfinished book..." ~Quote from a friend, Travis Judd

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." ~St. Francis of Assisi

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." ~Nelson Mandela

"The capacity to be puzzled is ... the premise of all creation, be it in art or in science." ~Erich Fromm

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." ~Mae West

"Theatre is a form of knowledge; it should and can also be a means of transforming society. Theatre can help us build our future, rather than just waiting for it." ~Augusto Boal

Monday, July 11, 2011

Working On Me Scripts

I sat today, surrounded by theatre books, my scripts and several notebooks from my directing classes and worked on my scripts.

Shakespeare ... it's taken me quite a bit of time, and I'm not even finished, going through the full length version of "A Midsummer Nights Dream" and comparing it to my adapted version for the summer camp. The worst part of the adaptation is that when the playwright typed it up, they didn't type it in verse style ... if I'm going to teach the kids about Iambic Pentameter, Rhyming Couplets, Feminine Endings, Trochaic Rhythms and other such, I need the script to be markable by them (and me). Before the copies are made for the kids I might adjust the lines.

I think the lovers, Lysander, Hermia, Demetrius and Helena resemble the lovers in Commedia dell'Arte.

I did find out that it might be possible to get my balloon forest for this show. How exciting!!! :o)

Commedia dell'Arte ... tomorrow I've gotta get up and move like the characters, get what I learned back in my body so I can show the kids ... and direct two cannovaccio.

Aristocats Kids and Into The Woods ... I've emailed my set thoughts to the theatre, and hope to hear back soon so that I can block the scenes accordingly. Going through those scripts today I have found new ideas ... I've found several shadow puppet moments in "Into The Woods" among other things.

I'm hoping that my woods are "moveable" so that the different areas within the woods can literally look like different areas. I'm a little baffled with the Hen that lays the golden egg, I thought shadow puppet but then how does it lay a golden egg in the hands of the Baker? The script suggests a remote control car decked out like a chicken, that's actually really funny ... maybe.

Aristocats ... I'm hoping the costumer will want to suggest cat, dog, mouse etc...and not with a "cat hat" or anything ... but more with say a collar and some ears on a headband and a tail ... I don't want them to really look like cats, or the other animals in the show, I'm not even sure why I don't but I don't. We'll see ...

The Motorcycle in the show is a question ... but the moving scenery behind the motorcycle to make it look like the bike's moving will be fun to do! :o)

etc...

This is what I did all day long ... phew! ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment