"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." ~T.S. Eliot

"You were once wild here, don't let them tame you!" ~Isadora Duncan

"Be faithful to that which exists within yourself." ~Andre Gide

"Follow your bliss!" ~J. Campbell ... and my folks!

"The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting." ~Andy Warhol

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." ~Nelson Mandela

"...open and expanding like an unfinished book..." ~Quote from a friend, Travis Judd

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." ~St. Francis of Assisi

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." ~Nelson Mandela

"The capacity to be puzzled is ... the premise of all creation, be it in art or in science." ~Erich Fromm

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." ~Mae West

"Theatre is a form of knowledge; it should and can also be a means of transforming society. Theatre can help us build our future, rather than just waiting for it." ~Augusto Boal

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Comfort zones ... oiy!

I am totally working outside my comfort zone (thanks for the "diagnosis mom") with having to 'fully stage' two shows before I even meet the kids who will be in them. The Admiral Theatre job "requires" that I have my blocking sorted out so that I can give it to the kids quickly in the first few days of rehearsal ... this way they have it all and they can get to memorizing all the bits together as quickly as possible. Allowing for alterations during the rehearsal process of course. And I completely understand this idea, but I have NEVER done it before. It sort of goes in the complete opposite direction of how I work, if I'm being honest. I'm not saying I can't do it, but I am saying it's really weird. Ha ha! It's me working out of my typical style and therefore out of my comfort zone ... and everyone knows it's easier in ones comfort zone.

I think right now my biggest hurdle is that I don't know EXACTLY what the sets will be like. So trying to stage something where you don't know what the set elements are, or where they are on the stage, or how much room they take up, what pieces the actors can stand on / sit on ... etc ... etc ... makes it a challenge.

But I digress ... I'm gonna rock it out like a pro! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment