"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." ~T.S. Eliot

"You were once wild here, don't let them tame you!" ~Isadora Duncan

"Be faithful to that which exists within yourself." ~Andre Gide

"Follow your bliss!" ~J. Campbell ... and my folks!

"The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting." ~Andy Warhol

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." ~Nelson Mandela

"...open and expanding like an unfinished book..." ~Quote from a friend, Travis Judd

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." ~St. Francis of Assisi

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." ~Nelson Mandela

"The capacity to be puzzled is ... the premise of all creation, be it in art or in science." ~Erich Fromm

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." ~Mae West

"Theatre is a form of knowledge; it should and can also be a means of transforming society. Theatre can help us build our future, rather than just waiting for it." ~Augusto Boal

Thursday, February 10, 2011

And so it goes ... another no.

Ahhh balance. I suppose I should think of it in Balinese terms and strive for the balance between good and bad, though it's hard to do when it appears that there is more on the "bad" side of the scale than the "good" - specifically where work (or job hunting) is concerned.

And so it goes, with every positive albeit little foot forward, there also comes more NO!

Today I received an official letter from the Williamstown Theatre Festival telling me that they are unable to offer me the fellowship for this summer. NO! Sigh...the summer job I wanted the most is a no. I'm sure it is a generic rejection letter sent to everyone that they are not awarding the fellowship too, but there is one line in it that - small silver lining - makes me feel good, even if they didn't specifically name my qualities.

"The applicant pool this year was impressive and we were forced to turn away many candidates with extraordinary accomplishments."

So I am officially counting myself as one of those! Hahaha. ;o)

And there you have it, yesterday I'm hired for a job and today I'm rejected by one. Some days it's really hard to remember why I chose this profession! I love stage managing and am very excited about my upcoming position, but I'm always getting no's for the directing jobs that I really really want.

It is so hard to become a director, one that people know about, respect, admire and want to hire. I apply for scripts that have already been chosen by a company and jobs where I put in a proposal for something that I want to do. This fellowship - had I gotten it - would have meant me working on a project that I'd "created" - with a team of actors and a playwright, from the ground up. And I really think my idea is good, no GREAT! So now I will contact a friend at my former undergrad and see if he and I can't work it out so that we do it at the Uni.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment