"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." ~T.S. Eliot

"You were once wild here, don't let them tame you!" ~Isadora Duncan

"Be faithful to that which exists within yourself." ~Andre Gide

"Follow your bliss!" ~J. Campbell ... and my folks!

"The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting." ~Andy Warhol

"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." ~Nelson Mandela

"...open and expanding like an unfinished book..." ~Quote from a friend, Travis Judd

"Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible." ~St. Francis of Assisi

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same." ~Nelson Mandela

"The capacity to be puzzled is ... the premise of all creation, be it in art or in science." ~Erich Fromm

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." ~Mae West

"Theatre is a form of knowledge; it should and can also be a means of transforming society. Theatre can help us build our future, rather than just waiting for it." ~Augusto Boal

Friday, December 9, 2011

Go Big or Go Home

In college one of my professors said "the bigger the risk the bigger the reward", something I'd heard before but perhaps I had never pinned it to directing.

With my actors - be it a student or adult - I always ask them to "go the whole hog", go BIG - potentially over do it - because it is easier to pair some one back (you know you can pull them back) than it is to "make" them bigger (if they over do it you know you can rein them in, but if they only do a little you'll never know if you can get them to go bigger or give more).

Right, what's my point here you ask?  Well, it's that I pretty much always GO BIG NOW!  I mean I strive the most so that I have places to go when I find out 'what I want I might not be able to have'.

At the moment it is manifesting itself in the form of a million (ok not a million but 42) masks, all of which I will have to make.  YIPES.  Always making more work for myself, ha ha ha ... but it's not just for me and my desire to use masks (and a lot of them, heck it's Greek theatre and Chorus Masks...mostly), but also for the kids.  What Middle School student uses masks - in such rural areas where they know almost nothing about theatre to begin with???

So I'm going big ... not yet going home ... we'll see if I have to pair down my masks or not.  :)

Anyhoo...there you have it!

Back to planning today's rehearsal.

No comments:

Post a Comment